REPORT ON THE LAUNCH OF THE EAGLESCAN PLAGIARISM DETECTION SOFTWARE
The project which started in 2016 eventually came to limelight in 2021. The alpha version of the EagleScan Plagiarism Detection Software was launched with a public presentation in Abuja at the NAF Conference Centre, Jahi, Abuja on Tuesday, 27th April, 2021. The Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency Prof. Yemi Osinbajo SAN, GCON was the Distinguished Guest of Honour at the Occasion. Other dignitaries present were:
- Mallam Adamu Adamu, Honourable Minister of Education
- Prof. Sandy O. Onor, Deputy Chairman, Senate Committee on Higher Education
- Prof. Abubakar Rasheed, Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC)
- Prof. Elias Bogoro, Executive Secretary, Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND)
- Prof. Is-Haq Oloyede, Registrar, Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB)
- Prof. Yakubu A. Ochefu, Secretary General, AVCNU and others too numerous to mention.
The Technical Team comprises of Mr. Terna Abuul (Benue State University), Mr. Jacob Ayua (Benue State University), Mr. Emmanuel Chukwu (Consultant), Dr. J.F. Opadiji (University of Ilorin), Ebasa Onotasamiderrhi Joseph (Delta State University), Dr. Alimi Olasunkanmi Maruf (Al-Hikmah University), Alanamu Zubair Olayemi (University of Ilorin), Mr. Lewis Orherhe (Delta State University) and Bolaji Ogidan (Al-Hikmah University) and other team members from AVCNU Office.
The EagleScan Plagiarism Detection Software was developed to overcome the challenges experienced with other plagiarism software like Turnitin and many more which only search against global open-source repositories. The main intent of this home-grown software is to among other benefits enable users search through Nigerian local open educational repositories and also validate titles, abstracts, primary texts and generate originality reports.
It is of note that AVCNU has graciously granted a moratorium of two (2) months free usage of the EagleScan Plagiarism Detection Software for all users starting from the date of launch of the alpha version of the software (27/04/2021). The App can be accessed at https://eaglescan.ng
Al-Hikmah team was well represented in the development of the Software.