Dr. Morufu Eyitayo Balogun was born on 1st June, 1976 in Iseyin, Oyo State. He attended Koso Community Primary School, Iseyin, Oyo State for his Primary School Leaving Certificate. He attended Iseyin District Grammar School, Oyo State (1989-1994), after which he proceeded to University of Ilorin (1997-2003) for his University Education. He obtained his Master degree in Physiology from the premier University of Ibadan (2008-2010) and then capped it with Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Human Physiology (Cardiovascular Physiology) at University of Nigeria, Nsukka (2013-2017). Dr. Morufu Eyitayo Balogun joined the service of Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State as an Assistant Lecturer on the 14th March, 2010 and rose to the rank of Lecturer I in October 1st, 2015 after which he secured a new appointment with Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, on the 7th March, 2020. Currently he is a Senior Lecturer at Al-Hikmah University in the Department of Human Physiology and also the pioneer Head of the Department. He is currently the Acting Dean of Faculty of Health Sciences. He also served as an External Examiner at Department of Physiology, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State (2019/2020) Academic session. He is a Member of Physiological Society of Nigeria (PSN), Africa Physiological Society (APS) and the Physiological Society. He has attended several scientific conferences and workshops across the country. He has been involved in various research activities which have culminated in publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Morufu Eyitayo Balogun is happily married with children.
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED WITH DATES:
University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria 2013–2017
University of Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria 2008–2010
University of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria 1997–2003
Iseyin District Grammar School, Oyo State, Nigeria 1989–1994
PURE ACADEMICS QUALIFICATIONS OBTAINED WITH DATES:
PhD. in Human Physiology 2017
M.Sc. in Human Physiology 2010
B.Sc. (Hons.) Physiology 2003
West African Senior School Certificate 1994
1. Balogun ME, Besong EE, Obimma JN, Iyare EE, Nwachukwu DC. Ameliorative effects of aqueous extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa (Roselle) on salt-induced hypertension in Wistar rats. PharmacologyOnLine. 2019; 2: 247-258.
2. Balogun ME, Besong EE, Obimma JN, Mbamalu SO, Djobissie SFA. Protective roles of Vigna subterranea (Bambara nut) in rats with aspirin-induced gastric mucosal injury. J Integr Med. 2018; 16(5): 342-49.
3. Balogun ME, Besong EE, Obimma JN, Djobissie SFA, Mbamalu SO. Gastroprotective effect ethanolic extract of Vigna subterranea in ethanol-induced gastric mucosal ulceration in rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2018; 62(3): 347-58.
4. Balogun ME, Nwachukwu DC, Iyare EE, Besong EE, Obimma JN, Djobissie SF. Antihypertensive effect of methanolic extract from the leaves of Hibiscus sabdariffa L. in rats. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2016; 8(19): 473-84.
5. Besong EE, Balogun ME, Djobissie SF, Obu DC, Obimma JN. Medicinal and Economic Value of Dialium guineense. Afr J Biomed Res. 2016; 19(3): 163-70.
6. Balogun ME, Besong EE, Obu DC, Obu MS, Djobissie SF. Nauclea latifolia: A Medicinal, Economic and Pharmacological Review. Intern J Plant Res. 2016; 6(2): 34-52.
7. Besong EE, Balogun ME, Djobissie SF, Mbamalu OS, Obimma JN. A review of Piper guineense (African Black Pepper). Intern J Pharm Pharmaceutic Res. 2016; 6: 368-84.
8. Jeje SO, Akindele OO, Balogun ME, Raji Y. Maternal treatment with dexamethasone during lactation delays male puberty and disrupts reproductive functions via hypothalamic–pituitary–gonadal axis alterations. Pathophysiol. 2016; 23(1): 43-9.
9. Balogun ME, Besong EE, Obimma JN, Mbamalu OS, Djobissie SF. Gongronema latifolium: A phytochemical, nutritional and pharmacological review. J Physiol Pharmacol Adv. 2016; 6(8): 11-24.
10. Balogun ME, Nwachukwu DC, Salami SA, Besong EE, Obu DC, Djobissie SF. Assessment of Anti-ulcer Efficacy of Stem Bark Extract of Nauclea latifolia (African Peach) in Rats. Am J Biomed Res. 2016; 4(1): 13-7.
11. Salami SA, Omirinde JO, Balogun ME, Raji Y. Testicular and epididymal histomorphometric assessment in F1 male Wistar rats after gestational Ricinus communis oil exposure. J Morphol. 2015; 32(3): 187-91.
12. Onwe PE, Folawiyo MA, Okike PI, Balogun ME, Umahi G, Besong EE, Okorocha AE, Afoke AO. Lipid Profile and the Growing Concern on Lipid Related Diseases. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci (IOSJPBS). 2015; 10: 2278-3008.
13. Onwe PE, Folawiyo MA, Anyigor-Ogah CS, Uche JE, Balogun ME, Umahi G, Besong EE, Okorocha AE, Afoke AO. Extracts of Moringa oleifera a sure bet for Hyperlipidemia management. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci. (IOSR-JPBS). 2015; 10(5): 28-2.
14. Ajah AA, Olorunfemi OJ, Chike CP, Balogun ME, Obia O, Adienbo O. Anti-Ulcer Activities of Methanolic Extract of Artocarpusaltilis (Breadfruit) on Alcohol Induced Acute Ulcer Model in Albino Wistar Rats. Am J Pharmtech Res. 2015; 5(4): 183-92.
15. Balogun ME, Jeje SO, Salami SA, Onwe PE, Folawiyo MA. Anti-ulcerogenic and gastric anti-secretory effects of Nauclea latifolia extract in male albino rats. Eur J Exp Biol. 2015; 5(2): 74-80.
16. Balogun ME, Nwachukwu D, Onwe PE, Folawiyo MA. Gastric acid anti-secretory effects of aqueous leaf extract of Nauclea latifolia (Rubiaceae) in rats. J Phytopharm. 2014; 3: 389-94.
17. Balogun ME, Folawiyo MA, Besong EE, Jeje SO. Effect of ethanolic fruit extract of Adenopus breviflorus (Lagenaria breviflora Robert) on hematological indices in male Albino Wistar rats. J Physiol Pharm Adv. 2014; 4(11): 501-8.
18. Balogun ME, Ajayi AF, Oji OJ, Besong EE, Finbarrs-Bello E, Folawiyo MA. Toxicological and Biochemical Studies of Ethanolic Fruit Extract of Adenopus breviflorus (Lagenaria breviflora Roberty) in Male Albino Wistar Rats. Am J Phyt Clin. Ther. 2014; 2(9): 1112-23.
19. Oluwole FS, Balogun ME, Temitope AG. Antisecretory Effects of Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) Juice in Male Albino Rats. Ann Rev Res Biol. 2013; 3(4): 358-66.
20. Balogun ME, Oji JO, Besong EE, Umahi GO. Evaluation of the anti-ulcer properties of aqueous leaf extract of Dialium guineense (Velvet Tamarind) on experimentally induced ulcer models in rats. Intern J Dev Res. 2013; 3(10): 106-10.
21. Balogun ME, Oji JO, Besong EE, Ajah AA, Michael EM. Anti-ulcer activity of aqueous leaf extract of Nauclea latifolia (rubiaceae) on indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in rats. Afr J Biotechnol. 2013; 12(32): 5080-86.
22. Oji JO, Balogun ME, Besong EE. Effect of Quarry dust on the lung function and leucocytes pattern in albino Wistar rats. J Biomed Sci Afr. 2012; 10(1&2): 40-2.
The aim of my research is to understand the mechanisms of blood pressure (BP) regulation in rats with different types of Experimental Hypertensive Models. In order to generate empirical data that can be subjected to clinical trials this will help to provide new alternatives for the clinical management of hypertension. My research is focused mainly on:
• Screening for Anti-hypertensive molecules from Natural agents.
• Elucidation of the mechanisms by which Endothelin and Renin-angiotensin systems participate in BP regulation.
• The role of oxidative stress in BP regulation.